Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Throwing the Bouquet



Maybe I am unlike most women, but I despise the bouquet tosses at people's weddings.

"All the single young ladies come over here while the bride tosses the bouquet."

Translation: Everyone who hasn't found someone to spend the rest of their life with like this happy lady, come stand behind her while she throws this thing of fake flowers that isn't near as pretty as her real bouquet.

Whoever catches it is next to get married- no pressure to find someone to have and to hold before the rest of the girls.

What's even worse is when you are the only person over the age of 13. Now there's REALLY no pressure. you have at least 7 years before any of these girls will think about marriage...

And my own personal one-
I got NO athletic ability whatsoever in my family- catching a ball is hard enough, but this awkward ball of flowers, with the stems pointing out, hurling through the air to no particular person, to a bunch of girls in dresses, just screams disaster.

So needless to say, I tossed (no pun intended) around the idea of not throwing my bouquet. Half of our bridal party will be married/engaged at our wedding and as you can tell, I think they are one of the sillier traditions of marriage...

But today I decided, while standing in hobby lobby- after I practiced throwing a fake bouquet to my mom all the way down the aisle (5 or 6 times at that)- this was way too much fun to pass up on the real thing.

So next time you go to a wedding even if you despise the bouquet toss as much I do, remember the bride sure is enjoying it!


4 comments:

Mandy Hornbuckle said...

I would have enjoyed the bouquet toss more if somebody had caught it. Apparently the girls transpired to not catch it, and so on the second attempt (that's right, they still didn't catch it the second time) the flower girls just kind of tore it apart (and these weren't fake flowers) fighting over it. I didn't get my picture with the friend who caught them, so tell your friends to actually catch it!!

And I don't think it's a mean thing to do to single people - I always thought it was kind of fun. At my brother's wedding, my sister-in-law, who had been on the Ultimate Frisbee team at A&M, had her throwing bouquet mounted on a frisbee, which she threw and had ten girls (other ultimate frisbee teammates) actually DIVE [in their dresses!] after in the grass! It was hilarious and so much fun! So it doesn't have to be bad. :) Especially if they really go after it!

Mandy Hornbuckle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim said...

Teisha that post is just hilarious. Who knew you could write?

Amanda said...

As someone who caught 12 bouquets before she ever got married, I think you have to do it! But you know me- super competitive and always have to win, so I looked forward to it.