I have this theory that girls who play with baby dolls are more likely to grow up to be stay at home mom's or (part time) stay at home mom's, and girls who played with barbies were more likely to have more career oriented lives.
I mean there were very few girls while growing up that loved both baby dolls and barbies. I had both, like any regular six year old, but definitely favored the baby dolls.
I always dreamed that I was going to get married, have babies, and be a PTA mom right away.
Now as marriage approaches quickly (6 weeks!) I have realized how much more I am turning into a barbie girl vs. a baby doll girl.
There is so much that Sean and I want to do before we have kids- (mainly so many places we want to travel). We also want to further our careers and get additional training, buy a first home, and just enjoy being married.
Being in grad school has really opened up my options as to what I can do. It's exciting when you feel like the world is at your fingertips and you really can make a difference.
But then, a part of me is so torn. I want to be a baby doll girl. I think it's wonderful when a parent can stay at home with the children, or be there when they get home from school. I loved when my mom was at home and I could tell her all about my day the second I got off the bus and I feel it really made a positive impact on my childhood.
So Barbie girl? Or Baby doll?
Somehow I will prove my theory wrong and find a positive balance between the two when the time is right, but for now I will be a barbie girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment